A delicious breakfast, tea time , or dessert treat, these Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Scones get their goodness from buttermilk.
I realized today that one of my favorite flavor combinations is lemon and blueberries. The two together create such a fresh and clean taste no matter what you include them in. Whether it is in this Lemon Blueberry Loaf Cake, these Lemon Blueberry Crumb Muffins, or today’s new recipe for Lemon Blueberry Buttermilk Scones, I think you’ll find a new favorite.
Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Buttermilk Scones (Egg Free)
1 cup gluten free flour blend with xanthan gum (I used Bob’s 1 to 1)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
6 tablespoons cold, salted butter
1/4 cup buttermilk
5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
zest from 1 lemon
4 tablespoons tapioca flour
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
2/3 cup sifted powdered sugar
3 -4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 375. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the flour, baking powder, and sugar into a large bowl.
- Cut the cold butter into small cubes. Using your hands or a pastry blender, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until small pebbles form.
- Add in the lemon juice, lemon zest, and buttermilk. Mix together using a spoon or silicone spatula. The dough will be very loose. It should not be smooth. Just mix until the ingredients are combined.
- Add in the tapioca starch and using your hands, stir the tapioca into the dough until just combined.
- Add in the blueberries. Gently fold in.
- Place the dough onto the baking sheet.
- Carefully form the dough into a round disc 3/4″ – 1″ in height.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the disc into 6 triangles.
- Brush the tops with buttermilk.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the tops are golden.
- Combine the ingredients to make the cream topping.
- These scones are best served warm. Add the desired amount of cream topping immediately before serving.