I go food shopping once every two weeks. It’s a plan that has helped our family stay within our budget. But as we near day 12, 13, or 14, we find that our supply of food dwindles rapidly. We are often at bare bones, and sometimes, I need to get creative with meals to use up what we have on hand. My kids often joke that those throw-together-whatever-is-in-the-fridge meals are often the best.
That’s exactly how this idea came to mind.
It was lunch time, and I was at a bit of a loss as far as what I should make. I had mozzarella, sauce, and some toppings on hand to make pizza, but I was lacking the flour (and time) needed to make pizza dough. So I went downstairs to my freezer, and there I saw a package of gluten free hot dog buns. “Why not turn these into pizza?”. Sounded a little strange to me, but you know what? It totally worked.
So, this post is not a step by step recipe type of post but more of an idea unfolded kind of post.
What you’ll need:
- One package gluten free hot dogs buns – 6 count
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- dried Italian seasoning
- 2 & 1/2 cups tomato sauce (homemade or your favorite jarred variety)
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
- pizza toppings of your choice (pepperoni, pesto, olives, onions, peppers. sausage)
- salt and pepper (if desired)
- Begin by splitting the gluten free hot dog buns in half lengthwise (I used Canyon Bakehouse).
- Brush the cut side with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with dried Italian seasoning.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper onto a baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the hot dog buns, face down, onto the baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes (or until the cut side is nicely toasted).
- Remove from the oven, turn the buns over so that the cut side is facing up.
- Spoon 1 – 1 & 1/2 tablespoons of your favorite homemade or jarred tomato sauce on top of each half. Spread to cover.
- Top with enough shredded mozzarella to cover.
- Have fun customizing your own pizzas with the toppings of your choice.
- Sprinkle the tops with a bit of dried Italian seasoning and salt and pepper (if desired).
- Place back into the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, about 7-8 minutes.
- Warm up 2 cups of your favorite tomato sauce. Divvy the sauce up into individual small bowls.
- Serve the warmed sauce with the pizza sticks and enjoy.
So easy! My kids had a lot of fun making their own little pizza dunkers. I have to admit that these were so delicious. You know my kids are right, sometimes the best meals come when you need to get creative with what you have on hand.
Give it a try!