Crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside, these amazing vanilla bean spice cookies are gluten free, egg free, and dairy free. The vanilla bean glaze will knock your
It is officially cookie baking season. Woo Hoo! For this foodie, December food is all about cookies of all shapes, sizes, and flavors (all gluten free, of course). So, let the sprinkles fly, toss about some flour, and enjoy the season’s best little treats with me. All this month I will be sharing some new cookie recipes with you, along with some of my old favorites.
The Perfect Looking Cookie
First up is a simply incredible cookie. Not only is this cookie gluten free, but it is also egg and dairy free as well. When I first tested these cookies I was utterly amazed at how perfect they looked. When my husband saw them he asked where I had purchased them from. They look perfect…almost like they were factory produced (but in a good way). All the crinkles and crevices were in just the right place. No factory cookies here.
The Perfect Tasting Cookie
Now we all know that looks are not everything. The same goes for a cookie. A beautiful cookie better taste great too or, let’s face it, it’s a flop. Well, these cookies don’t disappoint when it comes to taste. In fact, I told my hubby that these cookies are my new favorite. Why?
First, the amount of spice is just right. The ginger is not too overpowering or underwhelming. The cookies are not too sweet, but sweet enough to satisfy. The texture is spot on. These cookies are perfectly crisp on the outside, with an amazing chew on the inside. And finally, the vanilla bean paste adds that special something to each bite. I tested the recipe both with and without vanilla bean paste. While you can certainly make these cookies without the vanilla bean paste (they’ll still be amazing), I can honestly say that you will be missing out. It enhances the flavor so very much!
All of this yumminess without gluten, dairy, or egg! I love it!
The Perfect Finishing Touch
As perfect as these cookies were, I wanted to elevate them one more notch. And for that I turned to my friends over at Rodelle. Rodelle is home to the finest vanilla beans, extracts, and baking ingredients that I know. Long before I was blogging, their products filled the shelves of my spice rack and baking cabinet. The quality of every product in their line will be evident upon your first use, as it was for me.
To finish my cookies off, I opted to create a simple vanilla bean glaze for my cookies. Using fresh vanilla beans within your recipes will produce flavor like no other extract can do. After mixing the ingredients for my glaze together, I scrapped down the seeds from one vanilla bean and mixed them in. I then heaped a generous amount of the glaze onto each cookie.
I’m telling you, there is something about those little vanilla bean flecks that tells you that you’re about to dive into something amazing.
The Perfect Collaboration
I am so happy to be able to collaborate with Rodelle this coming year as one of their brand ambassadors. As I mentioned before, their products are superior to anything that you will find at your local grocery store. They will take any ordinary recipe and make it extraordinary. I can recommend them to you without reservation.
My relationship with Rodelle actually began several years ago before I was blogging. In 2013 I had entered a contest sponsored by Rodelle. I submitted a short story about my son and mother and their time in the kitchen. That story wound up being a winner, and for the next year I would be treated to shipments of Rodelle’s products. I tried just about every extract they made and used their cocoa and vanilla beans in so many of my baking recipes.
And while Rodelle’s products wowed me, the kindness of their staff really won my heart. With each shipment that arrived, I received a hand written note from a member of the Rodelle staff. Those notes spoke volumes to me. It showed me that this company is concerned about the little details and cares about going the extra mile to make their customers feel like more than just customers.
For that reason, they won me over. Ever since, I’ve been a Rodelle customer. So you can see why this collaboration is perfect; it’s perfect because it’s genuine. Once I finalized the details for being a brand ambassador, Rodelle sent me some complimentary products for me to use in my recipes. And guess what showed up with my ingredients? A hand written note.
A Giveaway for You!
To celebrate my new relationship with Rodelle, we are bringing you a giveaway! One winner will receive:
To enter, first leave a comment at the very end of this post telling me what your favorite holiday cookie is. Your comment will give you one entry into the giveaway. Next, for a bonus entry, head over to The Gluten Free Gathering’s Facebook page and like our page. Contest runs from December 3, 2018 to December 8, 2018. See complete rules at the bottom of this post.
Gluten Free Vanilla Bean Spice Cookies (Dairy Free & Egg Free)
- 1/2 cup Dairy Free Butter Spread (I used Melt)
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon Rodelle Vanilla Bean Paste
- 1 cup finely ground almond flour
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour blend with xanthan gum (see recipe notes below)***
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Vanilla Bean Glaze
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped, pod set aside
- 1 & 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened vanilla almond or cashew milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a stainless steel baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the dairy free spread, light brown sugar, spices, molasses, and vanilla bean paste until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, gluten free flour, and baking soda to the wet ingredients. Mix until all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Using a 1 tablespoon sized spring loaded scoop, scoop out level tablespoons of dough. Roll the dough between the palms of your hands to create a ball. Place the ball onto the cookie sheet. Cookies should be spaced 2" from each other as these cookies do spread.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then, using a thin spatula, transfer the cookies to a cooling rack. Allow the cookies to cool completely.
- In a bowl stir together the sifted powdered sugar and almond/cashew milk until smooth.
- Place one vanilla bean on a cutting board. Using a small knife, cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise. Using the dull, backside of the knife, run the knife down both halves of the pod to remove the beans. Place the scraped beans into the glaze and stir.
- Using a teaspoon spread the glaze onto the tops of each cookie. Allow the glaze to set completely before serving.
. ***I tested this recipe with both Bob's Red Mil 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour and King Arthur's Measure for Measure Gluten Free Flour. Both work so very well in this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links through Amazon. Should you choose to click on a link and make a purchase, I will be paid a small commission by Amazon. This comes at NO additional cost to you and assists with the expenses associated with this blog. Thank you for your support!
© The Gluten Free Gathering
The images, content, and recipes found within are copyright protected. Do not use images and written content without first obtaining permission from The Gluten Free Gathering. Looking to share or republish a recipe? Please link back directly to this post for the recipe.
Contest runs from December 3, 2018, 12:00am to December 8, 2018, 11:59pm. The time stamp from this website will determine eligible entries. One comment entry and one bonus Facebook entry per person for the duration of the giveaway. Winner will be determined by a random draw and notified by the method of entry by December 9, 2018. Winner will have three days from the time of notification to provide their full name and mailing address to which their prize pack may be mailed to. Should the winner not respond within 3 days, a new winner will be randomly selected.
The winner’s name and address will be made available to Rodelle for the sole purpose of shipping out the prize pack. By entering this giveaway, you are agreeing to these terms. Neither The Gluten Free Gathering or Rodelle will be responsible for lost or damaged shipments. No substitutions or cash equivalents available.