Little bundles of goodness, these gluten free mini chocolate chip blossom cookies contain no peanut butter (but still have all of the yumminess you expect from this classic).
There is something about unwrapping a bag full of Hershey’s Kisses that makes my kids swoon. Maybe it’s because I don’t purchase candy often or the fact that they love pressing little kisses into the tops of my blossom cookies. In reality I think that they really love sneaking a kiss or two or three into their mouths before I can see (or so they think).
Blossom Cookies: A Classic
There is no doubt that Hershey Kiss Blossom cookies are a classic. This week alone I’ve seen so many recipes for them cropping up on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram. Everyone loves them. For my family there is one big problem with this classic cookie: the peanut butter. Unfortunately, my son was diagnosed with a peanut allergy this fall, so peanuts are a no-no.
Remaking Blossom Cookies
Tweaking these cookies to make them peanut free was super simple. I actually took my recipe for gluten free sugar cookies and made them into blossoms. To make up for the absence of peanut butter, I opted to add a generous helping of allergy friendly chocolate chips to the mix. The miniature chips from Enjoy Life were the perfect size for these cookies.
The rest of the recipe is the same: roll the dough into balls, bake, and press a Hershey Kiss into the center. Super easy and so good! They are a must for every holiday cookie tray.
Please read the packaging for the Hershey’s Kisses carefully as not all Kisses are gluten free. You can head over to Hershey’s website to view their dietary information.
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Blossom Cookies
- 6 tablespoons salted butter, cold
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, cold
- 1/3 cup avocado oil (or other mild vegetable oil)
- 1 & 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 2 & 1/4 cups gluten free flour blend with xanthan gum**
- 1 teaspoon double acting baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup miniature chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
- 36 Hershey's Kisses, unwrapped (check packaging/ingredient information and select a gluten free variety)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter, cream cheese, avocado oil, and sugar until smooth. Add in the heavy cream and egg, and stir again until incorporated.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Gradually add the flour into the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined. Mix in the chocolate chips. Mix together until the dough comes together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Using a 1 tablespoon sized spring loaded cookie scoop, scoop out level scoops of dough. Roll the dough into a ball and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Cookies should be placed at least 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and immediately press a Hershey Kiss into the center of the cookie. The cookie will flatten a bit (you want this).
- At this point, it is very important to allow the cookies time to completely cool. The heat from the cookies will cause the kisses to soften. A bit of time is needed for the kisses to harden up once again.
This post contains affiliate links through Amazon. Should you choose to click on a link and make a purchase, I will be paid a small commission by Amazon. This comes at NO additional cost to you and assists with the expenses associated with this blog. Thank you for your support!
© The Gluten Free Gathering
The images, content, and recipes found within are copyright protected. Do not use images and written content without first obtaining permission from The Gluten Free Gathering. Looking to share or republish a recipe? Please link back directly to this post for the recipe.