Blueberries and lemon are the perfect pair. This Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Loaf Cake is the perfect breakfast treat or anytime snack.
Last week my friend, Lisa, over at Good Grief Cook, posted an interesting article. She addressed the issue of whether or not internet recipes are well tested before publication. After a friend of hers had tried a blogger’s recipe for lemon cake that was riddled with issues, her “failure” turned into a mission for my friend. She worked to create the perfect lemon cake, one that was tested through and through. You can check out her results.
One of the most stressful things for me to hear as a blogger is, “I am going to try your recipe.” I know that sounds odd because as a blogger, I want people to actually try my recipes. But there is always this fear that the recipe will not turn out the way it should. While I create and test my own recipes, and do not publish a recipe unless it has my personal approval, I am always fearful that something will go wrong. I rack my brain with questions. Are my directions clear enough? Is there a typo in the measurements? What if they use a different flour blend than I do? Will it still turn out the way it should?
I stress a bit. I suppose that is a good thing because it has pushed me to be careful as I create and careful as I type. If you do try my recipe, I want to do all that I can on my end to ensure that your finished product looks and tastes just like my finished product. That’s the whole point, isn’t it? Sharing recipes that I love with the hopes that you will love them and make them part of your home.
Lemon Blueberry Loaf Cake
Following along with my friend’s attempt to create the best lemon cake ever, I was inspired to create a gluten free lemon cake recipe of my own. I used the recipe mentioned in her blog as a jumping off point, but as usual, I made significant changes.
I took the liberty of including blueberries in my cake. Lemon and blueberries just go so well together. I also opted to use olive oil in lieu of butter. It was a good move. Lastly, I omitted the lemon extract in the original recipe. For some reason the smell of lemon extract makes me wince. Instead, I squeezed 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice and boiled (reduced) it down by half in a saucepan. This intense juice flooded my cake with the perfect amount of lemony flavor. Of course my cake is gluten free, and for this recipe I used my go to flour, Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend. It just always works for me.
Give it a Try!
So, yes, I hope that you will try this recipe (I’ll try not to stress). It’s utterly delicious, so delicious you won’t believe that it is gluten free and dairy free. So bake up a loaf, grab a slice, and snack on a handful of fresh blueberries for a good morning treat!
Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Loaf Cake (Dairy Free)
- 1/2 cup olive oil – opt for mild flavored olive oil (Extra Virgin will be terrible) You can also use avocado oil.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest (about 2 large lemons)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend with xanthan gum (I used Bob’s 1 to 1)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon gluten free flour blend (to toss with the berries)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest the lemons; set aside. Juice the lemons. You will need 1/2 cup of juice. Place the juice into a small saucepan and slowly bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the juice is reduced by half yielding 1/4 cup. Place the juice in a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Cream together the olive oil, sugar, and lemon zest in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add in the eggs one at a time and mix until the mixture is smooth.
- Add in the almond milk and lemon juice and mix.
- Add in the gluten free flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix on low speed just until the dry ingredients are incorporated then turn the mixer off. Using a silicone spatula fold the ingredients together until a smooth batter forms (this should only take a few turns of the spatula).
- Place the blueberries into a small bowl and toss with one tablespoon of gluten free flour. Spoon the berries (leaving any loose flour behind) into the batter. Fold the berries into the batter gently and only a few times. Over mixing the berries will create a purple-tinted batter. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 60-65 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- Allow the loaf to cool in the pan for 30 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack by lifting up on the overhanging parchment paper. Cool completely. You can also place the loaf in the refrigerator to speed this process along.
- Once the loaf has completely cooled, stir together the powdered sugar and 3 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice until a smooth glaze forms. Pour the glaze over the top of the loaf and gently spread toward the edges. Allow the loaf to sit for 15 minutes before slicing.
This post contains affiliate links through Amazon. Should you choose to click on a link and make a purchase, I will be paid a small commission by Amazon. This comes at NO additional cost to you and assists with the expenses associated with this blog. Thank you for your support!
© The Gluten Free Gathering
The images, content, and recipes found within are copyright protected. Do not use images and written content without first obtaining permission from The Gluten Free Gathering. Looking to share or republish a recipe? Please link back directly to this post for the recipe.